ARDMORE, ELKTON, ELKMONT, ANTHONY HILL, ATHENS, BAUGH COMMUNITY, BETHEL, BLACK CAT, BLANCHE, BOBO, BRYSON, BUNKER HILL, CARTERS GROVE, CASH POINT, COFFEE POT, COLDWATER, DELROSE, DELLROSE, ELKWOOD, GOBBLERS KNOB, GOODSPRINGS, HARVEST, HAZEL GREEN, HOLLANDS GIN, LICK SKILLET, LOCKS CROSS ROADS, MACEDONIA, MADISON CROSS ROADS, MINOR HILL, PETTUSVILLE, PINEDALE, PISGAH, PROSPECT, PULASKI, TAFT, THACH, TONEY, U-TAKE-IT
Ardmore High Celebrates 100 years
by Loretta Merrell Ekis
The Ardmore High School Anniversary Celebration Committee, the Ardmore Chamber of Commerce and First National Bank, invite former students, graduates, faculty and members of the community to attend the anniversary celebration at Ardmore High School Saturday, August 25 from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
First National Bank, the school's sponsor, will provide refreshments, and attendees will have an opportunity to tour the school and see all the improvements. Recently added are new lockers, new ceilings, new lights, bathrooms and freshly painted halls and rooms.
Tressie McLemore, a 1972 graduate and retired teacher, will serve as the master of ceremonies and welcome attendees in the library at 2:30 p.m. An invitation to attend has been extended to the oldest living student, Martha Scott Hodges, now 101 years old, and it is hoped that she will be present.
The school plans to display year books which will be of great interest to not only graduates but also many of their family members. It will be a great time to meet and greet those students who attended AHS many years ago and to see how much the school itself has changed.
The concept of a high school in Ardmore began sometime around 1915 when
Tennessee residents Austin, Childers and Boyd, donated five acres of land for the school. Donations in money, labor and materials to build the school began to make the school a reality in 1915-16. Numerous local residents gave their money, time and talents to build the two-story brick building. This building contained a library/study hall and classrooms on the first floor, and a stage on the second floor.
In 1917, the school opened with J. T. Blackshear as principal, and it became accredited in 1927. Today the principal is Glynn Bryant with a staff of 65 employees and about 950 students in 6th through 12th grade. The focus of this school is trifold: academics, athletics and the arts.
The school and its students have achieved scholar bowl wins and scholarships through the years, and the sports teams have won several state titles. In addition, the approximately 100 member Tiger Marching Band has received high rankings in competition.
The mission of Ardmore High School is to continue to promote academic, physical and ethical growth that will allow students to grow and become productive citizens of the community, county and the nation at large as many before them have gone on to do.
Find more information about your community
in this week's edition of
On Sale Now At A Store Near You